Friday 8 July 2011

Readings

Where has the last week gone? Sunday was the big day for me. Despite the first reading taking place at 11 am on Sunday I had an impressively well-attended event. I was in the mood and managed to produce the necessary degree of fire in my belly. I started the day with a quote from one of Robert Hunter's poems, 'Three-Legged Mare';

Bridled and brindle,
blinkered and sway,
hobbled and hamstrung,
no more nor less than
a three legged mare,
the horse is yours.
Always was. Ride her
with bells in your heart.

That inspiration was sufficient to dispel the doubts and to enable me to proceed with full commitment. That and my observation of Michael McClure when he came to stay in last year's poetry festival. He was unwaveringly serious about his own work. By that I mean he took his work and himself seriously, not that he was without humour.
I have had some great comments from many quarters since the performances, the second of which I found heavier going (although still acceptable). The posters have been selling and the swifts still chase each other amongst the alleys and roof tops of old Ledbury, screeching with the delight of the free.
On Tuesday we hosted Adam Horovitz who was launching his first collection of poems on publication day. He gave a very affecting and effective reading that evening, followed by the eccenticities of Michael Horovitz, his father, which were delightful.
On Wednesday I joined the circus that is the Ledbury Lyricists at the Prince. Some fine performances, but there seems to be a diminishing number of visiting poets and perhaps too much music. That, coupled with a late start, reduced the scope I think. But, it is always enjoyable and good to be able to spend the evening in the pub without having to worry about getting up for work the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment