Tuesday 10 November 2009

An Introduction

Ready or not, ready or not, I am reminded by Mr Quantock that we live in times of flux. The balance of the spheres alters, levers spin, lines of communication are cut. Strange realignments ensue and in turn will become contemptible through familiarity.

You may not have been introduced to Orville Quantock. The man is an enigma, has the constitution of an ox and processes thought at light speed through a quicksilver mind. Yes, he has blind spots, a tendency towards the pedantic and unopened correspondence, but these are mere diversions. He is able to formulate theories on most subjects, sometimes even in areas in which he has not previously dabbled.

I am able to speak with authority about the man and his doings from two impeccable sources; my own observation, and, more thoroughly, his own explanatory utterances. I believe that I have been privileged in the latter arena probably through the application of my interpretive skills.

Nevertheless, he is not a man with whom one could be said to stand constantly eye to eye. For example, on hearing of this side gate into cyber-space, Orville immediately assumed that its sole purpose was for the dissemination of his peculiar views. “Don’t be foolish,” I was swift to respond, “opinions are like arseholes; everyone’s got one!”

Well, he’s a man of the last word, as you’ll have guessed by now, and was equally quick to point out the unoriginality of my observation.

“Notwithstanding,” said I, “it still resonates in the pith.”

No comments:

Post a Comment